Sunday 11 July 2010

Am i foolish?




Once, when I was a kid, we had gone to Maldives for vacation and I was fooling around with crabs and waves when this man in his 50s came and started having a conversation with me. After the initial ‘is-he-a-pedophile’ and ‘will-he-rape-me-or-do-something-the-other-uncle-tried-doing’ thoughts, we settled beneath the shades of a coconut palm, facing the candy blue lagoon and few European surfers and a can of coca-cola(on the rocks).. During the conversation, which was on hard core spirituality, he told me that the best quality in a man is that he should get bored with life. Buddha got bored, Mahavira got bored, Dhirubhai Ambani got bored, Jamsetji Tata got bored, even Albert Einstein got bored with life. Unless you get bored with life you just live like an Animal( a dog perhaps) and to qualify as humans, the most important condition is that you should get bored. The more you get bored the more human you are and the more easily you get bored the more successful you are. I still haven’t figured the veiled denotation of the above funda, but I think it holds true in life.







I am bored with my life.I now want to run a café in Bangalore or Kochi, which has a casual yet a plush ambiance, which serves different types of mocha, an assortment of Italian delicacies, a combination platter of Indian starters/salad/main course/dessert, a buffet for lunch( or a table d'hôte), and  rest  À la carte. I want to get a bar license (but Not to start with), own a bar which has a lounge serving tequila’s and Kahlúa’s of the world , or even get a franchise for steak/grill  restaurants like ‘Ponderosa’, or even Dairy Queen, Hardees or Applebee’s. Wish me good luck!



13 comments:

HaRy!! said...

well he maybe right after all... because yu wrote this when yu are bored... so that serves the purpose :)!

The Panorama said...

ZB, there are many who face this dilemma. I also constantly wonder if I should seek another job that will probably increase my pay a lot. But I love this job and the people who I work with. So I can relate to that. You are still young so you may still be there a couple of years and earn money and then go to Bangalore and start a restaurant.
Just a suggestion:-) Good luck anyway!

ZB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ZB said...

Hary: Hummm, Thanks.

Panorama:Well, the right time will never come.i feel its now or never....My problem is not that i am not earning enough, i am paid reasonably well and i have been saving like mad since past 5-7 years..........and i never will blow away all my money. Even if i were to have 10 crores to invest, the cautious me will spend not more than 20 lakhs.... Thanks.:)

sujata sengupta said...

getting bored is what children do! and then we train them to adjust to boredom and be dogs for the rest of their lives!

Unknown said...

but people today got bored easily.... does that mean we gotta be human more often now :)

wonderful thoughts here :P

ZB said...

Sujata: Food for thought! We should encourage children to get bored....but its difficult, i know,being a dad.....But, if a human never gets bored in life then he is more canine than humane.....i think so.:)

@Shadow: People get bored easily with gadgets and gf/bfs..etc.. but not life.....these kinda boredom doesnt count....Thanks :D

Raj said...

zb. make that bar. i d love the free drinks.
and there are two sides to being bored. one you have done what you were supposed to or aimed at and two you aren't doing any of it. and neither anything else.

for once in a lifetime i am in the former. and its freaking four am as i write this.

Aparna said...

All the people you mentioned here got bored because their minds were constantly looking for challenges. In quite a few posts you have mentioned your desire to open a restaurant. If it is your passion you should really take the plunge. You are young still and can face challenges and failures. Go ahead and do it ZB, even if it is a small place to start with, a good place is rarely unsuccessful.

ZB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ZB said...

@Raj: Yea buddy, have 10 pegs and the next peg is free for you...like card punching in Starbucks...just kidding......i dont know much about classifications in boredom....but what matters is whether you are bored, and what have you done about it...if we channel all our negative energy coming out of boredom into something positive and creative, i think boredom is a GREAT think to have.Only the blessed get bored with life.....so lets celebrate our boredom.

@Aparna: Thanks buddy. I will. In fact to be honest i am waiting for my bro-in-law who would be my partner....he owns a technology/software company with 8 offices around India and plans to exit it by selling his share. Discussions are on and once its finalized, we have that extra cash for the bar license....You are absolutely right-A good restaurant is rarely unsuccessful and if its unsuccessful, there are many choices to make it successful... change it, modify it, until it is successful....:)

ekta khetan said...

I am also bored from life and now I think, I should take pride in it. yeee hooo :)

wise donkey said...

intersting thought. if only the kids believed them :)