Friday 23 October 2009

India


Am I less patriotic when I constantly grumble about the terrible things that I see in India? Then why does my blood boil when I see Western TV Channels(National Geographic) call India(Mumbai) “The craziest place on the planet”?
I was watching NDTV yesterday and the election results in Maharashtra. I could see VilasRao Deshmukh Sweat when asked by Srinivasan Jain about the one thing that the congress government has achieved in the last 10 years of rule.  Is ten years too short a period in History to judge a ruling government? Then what have we achieved in the last 60 years of Independence?

I somehow feel that India is headed towards an economical and political disaster. History has several examples to show that whenever the suppression and tyranny has crossed the thresholds of acceptance, there has always been a major revolution. .

I feel the poor, oppressed, indebted farmers or any citizen of this country should fight for themselves. I feel no matter how many NGO’s fight for their cause or sincere, dedicated politician come out for their cause, unless they themselves know that they are exploited, suppressed and taken for granted, there can never be a change in their position.

 But my biggest worry is that it seems we have been exposed to so much corruption, brutality, blood and murder that we have become immune and sights fail to move us further than a certain point. India is like one of those timeless fortresses, which uphold their scars and battered structures as the essence of their being. The lives that reside within such monuments-plants, birds, rodents and reptiles, turn indifferent to the surroundings as long as they are able to sustain themselves. People who live in this country are no different